Weight Lifting for Kung Fu

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Weight Lifting for Kung Fu

Postby Urgeist » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:44 pm

Anyone have any general recommendations? I browsed through amazon but couldn't find any books specifically on the topic. Most martial arts schools dont have a weight lifting "curriculum" but it has been shown that muscle strength correlates to speed.

Here is a German book on the topic:
http://www.amazon.de/Krafttraining-f%C3 ... =8-3-fkmr0
Urgeist
Forum Contributor

Postby desa'84 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:25 am

You could read some book from Pavel Tsatsouline or from Ross Enamait, or ask on the rosstraining forum
YMAA Italy
desa'84
Forum Contributor

Postby John the Monkey mind » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:31 am

A lot of wing chun guys I know recommend power lifting as it builds the core. Don't use body building stuff as you get the wrong type of body for MA. Power lifters have amazing core strength so grate stability, also should not hamper your speed over much unless you get to heavy.

:)
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

weight lifting.

Postby dc » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:07 pm

an excellent resource would be www.crossfit.com. they have exceptional athletes that are focused on building a functional body. when it comes to martial arts, however, i would recommend modifying their workouts to suit your purposes.

alternatively, focus on the areas you need to make stronger. for example, i have a relatively weak lower back, so one of my key exercises is the deadlift.
dc
Forum Guru

Postby rarewaves » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:34 am

The book was fine to me. I have no problem about it. It just needs a proper implementation about the theory.
rarewaves
Forum Newbie

Postby amelia.john011 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:10 am

The most important suggestion I can offer is to listen to your body. Its unlike any other the more, as are their goals, whether your ideal training will be unique. His body is very difficult to say what you want when you make a habit of listening well. No train mechanically. Watch for changes in your body. Watch for changes in performance. I guarantee you will find that perfect training will not solve any of their concerns, and you have to change. Constantly changing your workout to meet their needs and avoid boredom and rote.
amelia.john011
Forum Newbie

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu