Selecting a Kung Fu Teacher

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Selecting a Kung Fu Teacher

Postby Urgeist » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:29 pm

The Shaolin Kung Fu school / teacher whom introduced me to Kung Fu made a very good impression in many regards. My current school, I had to move cities, teaches the same style (Southern Shaolin) but I intuitively rank it lower than my previous dojo. This isnt really thought through or based on thorough research but on a general impression.

How do you go about selecting a school and teacher? I think what the YMAA is trying to do, have an international association for certification, is an excellent idea! This kind of think is really lacking in martial arts. How does one become a YMAA instructor in the long run if there is no YMAA school in ones country? Are there any other criteria for choosing teachers? Are there any other respectable associations like the YMAA?

I have a green sash in Southern Shaolin Kung Fu, which I received at the school I first went to - the good one! Now I am in a different city and the only school that teaches the same style seems to be of less merit. I do not really feel at home there. At the moment I'm planning on simply sticking with the new school and acquiring my black sash before I leave that school - since I plan on moving somewhere else in a year or two anyhow.
Urgeist
Forum Contributor

Postby John the Monkey mind » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:07 am

They let you keep your green sash at the new school despite just starting? That seems unusual for me as unconected groups of the same style usably/always make you start from scratch. Southern Shaolin? Which one of the 500+ Southern Shaolin styles?

:)
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Urgeist » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:10 pm

I didn't know there were 500+ Southern SHaolin styles.

My new school did not let me keep the sash. However, many of the forms are the same so I already know them. Thus I will progress quicker.

Still: how do people on this forum go about selecting a teacher or a school?
Urgeist
Forum Contributor

Postby John the Monkey mind » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:11 pm

I tend to read up on styles I am want to study, google it and find a selection of local teachers. If they have websites I read what they have to say and see what their posture looks like. I tend to visit classes (I arrange this first). If I like it I start training. If I change my mind I leave. Sadly as I have changed cities far to much this has happened a lot. I am currently researching clubs 6 mounts in advance as I have to move again to attend university again! I currently have 3 or 4 clubs I am interested in.

Side note, there are a lot of really skilled martial artists who avoid running clubs and some need training partners so you could try finding them on forums ect.

:)
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby yat_chum » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:38 am

You could try an Indonesian approach,
prayer and fasting

For it is said
"When the student is ready, the teacher will appear." Buddhist Proverb

or you could just go to all the martial art clubs around to see what the teachers are like. It is worth bearing in mind that the best teacher isn't always the best fighter.

"Teachers open the door, but you must enter by yourself." Chinese Proverb
yijing zhidong

use stillness to overcome movement
yat_chum
Forum God

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu