Train in California with Dr Yang

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Train in California with Dr Yang

Postby Dvivid » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:47 pm

Hello

You can go to YMAA CA and join in the training with Dr. Yang there, almost any time of the year. YMAA members receive a discount. Details are here

http://www.ymaa.com/training/retreatcen ... e-training

"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby Josh Young » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:14 pm

I see that it is not an option for low income people.
How very unfortunate.
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Postby Dvivid » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:25 pm

I think $65 per day for this kind of one-on-one training in such a place would be considered 'low income'? What kind of rate would you think is appropriate?

At age 62, Dr Yang can't just 'give away' this food/training/lodging, especially after investing his entire life savings and ten 'retirement years' into a nonprofit that is not yet funded and self-sustainable yet.

He may be open to hearing requests for special cases, or long-term visits.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

Dvivid
Forum God

Postby Josh Young » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:54 am

I think $65 per day for this kind of one-on-one training in such a place would be considered 'low income'? What kind of rate would you think is appropriate?

That is over 20,000 $ per year, this is by no means low income. Such a price clearly focuses on higher income groups. Not a bad choice, many elite martial artists have a habit of training only the wealthy for a high price.

It is in a group setting with some personal instruction so I can't call the training one-on-one, nor can I imagine a flat rate is appropriate. I'd never assume that an ability to pay relates to dedication or an ability to train. I'd screen for ideal students, not ideal customers.

At age 62, Dr Yang can't just 'give away' this food/training/lodging, especially after investing his entire life savings and ten 'retirement years' into a nonprofit that is not yet funded and self-sustainable yet.

I wish him the best of luck. I have been pondering a project like his for over a decade and realize the nuances that can be difficult. I do note however that he was not a wealthy young man and thus would not have been able to afford his own training program.
He may be open to hearing requests for special cases, or long-term visits.

It was heartbreaking to know that being 30 was too old. But knowing I am too old and too poor I will just continue to train daily for free, but without a worthy teacher.

I still have access to Dr. Yangs books, I have been able to save up and buy 3 of them.
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Postby yeniseri » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:29 pm

To apply sociological concepts to this type of endeavour is never the approach to take because the benefit cannot be categorized as such!

The better approach is prioritiation and at best, time management!
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Josh Young » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:24 pm

yeniseri wrote:To apply sociological concepts to this type of endeavour is never the approach to take because the benefit cannot be categorized as such!

The better approach is prioritiation and at best, time management!

Please forgive me. I fail to understand.
Have I applied sociological concepts to this?

So then is it wrong to consider who is eligible for the benefits your say cannot be categorized in social terms? Clearly the ability to dedicate and devote the self to hard work in training is not related to the ability to pay. Clearly the ability to teach well is not related to the stipends involved.

In many traditions they have something like what I am about to quote:
Gurudakshina refers to the tradition of repaying one's teacher or guru after a period of study or the completion of formal education. This tradition is one of acknowledgment, respect, and thanks. It is a form of reciprocity and exchange between student and teacher. The repayment is not exclusively monetary and may be a special task the teacher wants the student to accomplish.

I personally dislike selling out, that is to say, catering to an income bracket and promoting a profit above catering to and promoting a cause. Of course costs must be covered, but in a world of dirt, rain and sunlight there are ways to obtain food and shelter than require only land and a bit of daily work.

There is a huge difference between Dr. Yang's resort and the traditional methods it is modeled after, and that difference is found in the social contexts. If I ever obtain enough funds to attend I most certainly would, however all of the money I have made in my life put together would not pay for 2 years of his training. Do not make the mistake of thinking I am lazy or stupid though.
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Postby Dvivid » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:33 am

Hi Josh, I hear you and agree with your well-expressed points.

There is a fundamental misunderstanding in what you're saying though.

No guest would ever invest $20,000, because one would not "visit" for a year. Guests are not welcome "year-round". Even Dr Yang needs a break.

The students accepted into this program "break even" for $10,000 per year, which pays for food (they eat a LOT!), training equipment, travel, etc. The training is FREE.

Dr. Yang has always been the single most vocal member of his generation of Chinese martial artists regarding the issue of taking money out of the equation between Master and student. if you don't know this, then you don't know Master Yang.

For guests to visit, there is a cost, so this nonprofit can afford to survive. We are still paying for the buildings, the roads, the solar, the garden, operational expenses, etc. No one is making any money off of this. The Center is still running at a loss. I repeat, Dr Yang does not make one cent from that income.

Many guests have come and gone already in CA, and usually they stay for a week or two to learn new techniques, and then they go home and train for a year. That is the concept here.

And, again: anyone interested in a long-term visit would probably get a less expensive rate after discussion with Dr. Yang. Hope this clarifies the issue, thank you.

Dvivid
Forum God

Postby Josh Young » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:08 am

Yes, it does indeed clarify things. Thank you.
I hope that some day I will be able to afford to visit the facilities.

If it is not wrong to answer:
Where do the students get the 100,000 $ total for the 10 year training if they are training all the time?
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Postby Dvivid » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:23 pm

Keep in mind also, that I just grabbed the day rate when I sent that figure. A week rate is less. Month is even less.

Its not wrong to ask about the students expenses, it s a nonprofit, so that is public info. In fact, this month, the Center is releasing a financial statement to summarize this subject.

Three of the students have been sponsored by three sponsors, at a rate of $10,000 per year. Two of the sponsors are older students of Dr. Yang, and one is a gentleman who heard of the project and wanted to get involved. One other student was sponsored by Dr. Yang, and the others are supported by constant fundraising.

http://ymaa-retreatcenter.org/donations/sponsors

A few of the students have jobs when they go home, or financial support from their parents. Of of the new students drives back and forth between SF and the Center to work.

Dr. Yang spent his own money buying the land, and constructing the facilities, garden, well, solar power, etc. Any income Dr. Yang has generated in the last couple years has been donated to the Center. Truth is, he is very low on personal funds and the Center would not be breaking even without his constant donations.

But, that's how it works for non-profits, constant fundraising.

Dvivid
Forum God

Postby Josh Young » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:28 pm

I may never be eligible or able to attend, but I will openly pray for the success of the endeavor.
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Postby Dvivid » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:56 am

Thanks Josh. That financial report was published today:

http://ymaa-retreatcenter.org/news_events/2009/06/24/financial-summary-2008

Dvivid
Forum God

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu