White Crane (bai he) questions

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

White Crane (bai he) questions

Postby YangShi » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:08 am

I have been trained in a 5 animal gongfu master to student by my late Sifu. I was only told "Shaolin" and never given a history apart from not being of the Temple. I am looking to further my training, as it is a journey not a destination.

I have read the Essence of White Crane, and found it to be mostly very similar, however in other ways very different. I have heard that Korean Taekwondo and Okinawan Karate have roots from Baihequan, however I have seen precious little of similar kicks and kicking theory to these styles. I was taught Kicking Flight Paths and Kicking Qin-Na with what I learnt. Maybe there is something that is missing, or something only taught at higher levels. If someone could reference me with some examples that would be great.

Thank you for your help and support.

YangShi
All things being equal, I am not equal.

“Cheng Men Li Xue”
YangShi
Forum Newbie

re

Postby bustr » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:32 pm

I have heard that Korean Taekwondo and Okinawan Karate have roots from Baihequan, however I have seen precious little of similar kicks and kicking theory to these styles.

The kicks of karate and taekwondo were added after the early karate folks were exposed to savate via Japanese exchange students in France. There is no precedent in the Bubishi or Chapasarat or any old manual I've seen for round kicks, lateral thrusts or spinning kicks.
bustr
Forum User

kicks

Postby jfraser » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:56 pm

There is a very traditioinal style in Liaoning NE China, called
Chuojiao Fanze Boxing. There kicking is excellent
jfraser
Forum Guru

Postby yat_chum » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:34 am

"Southern fist Northern legs"
The White crane taught by Dr Yang is Southern white crane and therefore predominately uses hand techniques with kicks being a secondary option. This kicks used in Southern styles usually are low kicks. I was taught that the feet should be no higher than the knee. Okinawan karate does have it roots in Southern white crane and traditionally doesn't have high kicks.
As for White cranes influence on Tae Kwon Do, I have never heard of this and think that it is very unlikely due to the distance between Korea and southern China. It was the northern Chinese arts that would have influenced the Korean fighting arts which could have included northern crane style. I have trained and dabbled in various Korean martial arts over the years including Kuk Sool Won which does have animals styles such as dragon, tiger, snake, crane and eagle plus others but they are very different to their Chinese counterparts.
yijing zhidong

use stillness to overcome movement
yat_chum
Forum God

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu