Long Fist

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Long Fist

Postby Ed » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:27 pm

Hi everyone,, could any of you please be kind enough to tell me a little about longfist as taught at ymma?

thanks!!

is 28 a bit old to start this style?

peace

Ed
Ed
Forum Regular

Postby MethodMike » Fri May 09, 2008 9:32 am

Hi Ed,

I'm not a YMAA student, but I started practicing LongFist at 23, so I can relate to your concern. I felt that my body and mind wouldn't stand up to the challenge. After a while, I learned that no matter what my limitations or natural capabilities, there is always something within a system that I can work on if I am clear about my goals.
What's your goal for Longfist?
MINDBODY FITNESS

One Body...One Mind...Infinite Possibilties
MethodMike
Forum Regular

Postby Ed » Fri May 09, 2008 10:08 am

Hi, Mike

thanks for your reply!

i'm not to sure what my goals are to be honest.....a friend recomemded i try it out instead of taiji....

i guess i would like to be athletic again....other than that id like to take care of my mind/body..

sorry i cant be any clearer!

peace

Ed
Ed
Forum Regular

Postby MethodMike » Fri May 09, 2008 12:28 pm

You've taken the first step of starting with what you do know. I would suggest starting with the following:

I started practicing Longfist without some of the fundamentals included on this DVD and my progress plateaued quickly. What I like about YMAA is that Dr. Yang stresses mastery of the fundamentals. This will set the foundation for your practice. I would suggest sticking with this one until you feel ready to progress to the next step:

This DVD will take you into the basics of Shaolin Longfist. There is a book on Shaolin Longfist that was published a while back. If you run across that one, I would use it along with the DVD. (I read somewhere on the forum that the DVD has information not included in the book).

Lastly, when you get an oppurtunity, try to find a qualified Longfist instructor that can help keep you on the right track. Hope that helps Ed...Train smart AND hard.:D
MINDBODY FITNESS

One Body...One Mind...Infinite Possibilties
MethodMike
Forum Regular

Postby Ed » Fri May 09, 2008 12:38 pm

Thanks Mike!

there is a ymma school just downthe road so i will be in safe hands!

i think when i can afford it i'll get hold of the dvd....cheers!

peace

Ed
Ed
Forum Regular

Postby Sterculius » Wed May 14, 2008 12:56 pm

I started training long-fist about 6 months ago at the ripe old age of 36.
It wasn't an issue for me.

I have both of the previously mentioned DVDs and refer to them for my home practice which I find invaluable to get clarifications on something I've seen in class.
Sterculius
Just Arrived

Postby Ed » Wed May 14, 2008 2:18 pm

Congratulations mate!

Thankyou for your reply

Ed
Ed
Forum Regular

Postby Inga » Thu May 22, 2008 4:06 pm

Greetings Ed,

Glad to hear of your interest in YMAA. I started training at age 37 (our YMAA school in Andover teaches Long Fist and White Crane styles) after being quite fit in my teens and twenties and not so much in my thirties. It took me a year or so to be able to manage a decent panther walk, to increase my flexibilty, and get a basic level of fitness I felt gave me the foundation to start to train like I wanted to. I am not saying it will take you that long, but I am suggesting being patient with yourself. I am naturally going to agree you are not too old to train, however it is different than starting at age 5.

Cheers Inga
Ancora Imparo
Inga
Admin

Postby Ed » Tue May 27, 2008 2:00 pm

Inga, thankyou very much for the inspiration!

hope you progress well!

peace

Ed
Ed
Forum Regular

Postby Dvivid » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:07 am

Its important to remember Gong Fu means "time / effort", or achievement through hard work.

"Practice makes perfect".

Train within your limitations, progress gradually, back off before you hurt yourself, and enjoy your practice.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby Dvivid » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:54 pm

"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

Dvivid
Forum God

Re: Long Fist

Postby yeniseri » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:48 pm

Ed wrote:Hi everyone,, could any of you please be kind enough to tell me a little about longfist as taught at ymma?

thanks!!

is 28 a bit old to start this style?

peace

Ed

You can start a youtube search of longfist per Dr Yang or YMAA.
Changquan as a term may be another used to describe longfist! keeping in mind there is Northern and Southern!
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Dvivid » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:41 am

Dvivid
Forum God

Awesome

Postby Shen » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:41 pm

Cool to see it comin' out, should be interesting. :)
Shen
Forum User

Postby Dvivid » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:42 pm

PREVIEW TRAILER ONLINE NOW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgCSsra7NC8

Dvivid
Forum God

Postby yeniseri » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:24 pm

People mistakenly believe that age is a deciding factor but it has to do with degree of fitness/agility, cardiovascular conditioning and motivation. Youth is not age related but in the optimism of doing a thing based on inclination and physical agility.

It is only when you lose this point of view that you "age" plus the present state of youth today who appear incapable of basic physical inclination and motivation to be active.
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Dvivid » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:56 pm

Longfist Advances Sequences is now shipping. 8 hours on 2-DVDs!

http://ymaa.com/publishing/dvd/external ... _part1_dvd

Dvivid
Forum God

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu