Blindfold Training

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Blindfold Training

Postby silverfox » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:46 am

Hello YMAA brothers and sisters and other forum participants,

I hope you are all doing well! I have been using a blindfold for my training in Wing Tsun chi sau training for years to help develop sensitivity. I recently started to use this same method but for Qin Na training. Eyes closed and they grab anywhere, react with the proper qin na. I have found this helps me alot to feel when to use qin na instead of just looking for it.

I also use the blind fold to do my sequences and at first I would have a tough time with balance and stability. I would end the form in a corner somewhere instead of where it should have ended. Good for laughing at yourself, but now it is not so bad and I find it helps to make my sequences more stable and have a better sense of enemy.

I have many uses for the blindfold training, but I was curious what your thoughts and ideas are for when to use the blindfold and how?

Examples.. 4 corners drill, push hands, etc...

I appreciate your shared knowledge and hope we can all stay on topic.

Thanks alot :D
"The greatest goal of life is to cultivate your own human nature
and learn how to harmonize with nature and others around you"

GLMC

Scott Tarbell
Director of YMAA Amesbury
www.ymaakungfu.com
silverfox
Forum Addict

Postby yat_chum » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:26 pm

In my old Wing Chun Kuen class, during the Winter months when the nights where dark, Sifu would often end the session with the lights off. Sifu used to set different tasks, sometimes the object of the game would be to move around the hall using are ears, good footwork and our Man sau like feelers to avoid the other people. Other times we would try to make and maintain a bridge. Often the object was to find the other people and to use our bridging hands to do light sparring (much harder in the dark), although we would use elements of chi sau I don’t remember actually doing rolling, the emphasis was more on learning to find the target by feeling the bridge.
yijing zhidong

use stillness to overcome movement
yat_chum
Forum God

Postby silverfox » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:01 pm

The blindfold is great for reactive Qin Na training. To feel instead of reaching.
"The greatest goal of life is to cultivate your own human nature
and learn how to harmonize with nature and others around you"

GLMC

Scott Tarbell
Director of YMAA Amesbury
www.ymaakungfu.com
silverfox
Forum Addict

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu