Order of Learning White Crane

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Order of Learning White Crane

Postby ThirdShogun » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:16 am

Hello folks.

I have begun my studies into White Crane VIA the YMAA publications.
First I wanted to say that YMAA is great. About 90% of the martial arts DVDs I have purchased (some being over $40) have skipped or not played on my DVD player, except for YMAA.

I plan on learning, through suggestions I've read on this forum and others, in this order:

WC Soft Qigong (6 months)
WC Hard Qigong (6 months)
Beginning the white crane kung fu lessons

I also practice the Simplified 24 daily (for health.)

Any input or tips in learning would be very good. Thank you!
ThirdShogun
Forum User

Postby darth_freak » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:28 pm

Don't practice hard qigong without doing as much soft after your practice!!
Soft qigong is harmless but hard qigong can cause hypertension so you should always do soft qigong after hard qigong.

Also try to do 5 minutes of ma bu per day or every other day. Start with 30 to 60sec until you can get comfortable and rather low. and then... well if you have the white crane book go to the ma bu section :p
If you don't have the book, well, try to reach 5 minutes as piece-of-cake. And then go for the crane ma bu but very progressively. The classic ma bu conditions your muscles and tendons whereas the white crane ma bu also trains your ligaments so you better be careful.
Training stationary stance is also a part of hard qigong. Except you don't really need soft qigong since you don't trap qi in your legs. but don't forget to relax your legs, maybemassage them or have them massaged, it's always nice :p.

'Hope this helps :)

enjoy your training!
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby ThirdShogun » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:28 am

Thank you sir, excellent information. I will focus on the soft qigong at first and build up to do the hard. I don't have the book yet, so I will be getting it soon. I'm guesing ma bu is stance training? Thanks ... can't wait to start!!

:)
ThirdShogun
Forum User

Postby ThirdShogun » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:52 am

Well, I purchased all of the available white crane information. The qigong dvd, basics 1& 2 and the book.

I've had some previous MA training about 8 years total, in kenpo, longfist, hung gar and tai chi. I'm hoping this will make the learning process go a little smoother.

I plan on starting with the soft qigong and moving onto the hard qigong, always finishing my session with soft.

My question is: I gather there is alot of exercises offered on the Qigong DVD. Is the idea to pick a few of each that you like, and practice them diligently?

Also, when should I begin with the kung fu basic training? I'll admit, i will be eager to jump into that section. But as I understand, the qigong in white crane is very important, and you must have adequate energy stored up to practice the kung fu to its full capacity (as well as understanding the jin and hard qigong)

Thanks!
ThirdShogun
Forum User

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu