Praying Mantis 12 Word Formula

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Praying Mantis 12 Word Formula

Postby chimojo » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:02 pm

Would anyone like to discuss the 12 word formula of praying mantis? I think this would be useful for many people.

I have listed the first 12 from the 31 from lee kam wing's 7-star book as a start. I don't know if these would be called "12 word" or not. I'm guessing that this is nearly the standard for the formula. Also, I'm sure other mantis styles use different formulas.

1. hook: block and coil
2. grab: you get the picture
3. pluck: pull opponent off balance
4. block: upward block
5. intercept: mantis hook block with wrist
6. chop: chop down with forearm
7. contact: grab with 2 hands
8. cling: grab with one hand and attack with other
9. tag: vertical elbow
10. lean: takedown
11. dodge: you get the picture
12. bounce: kick, jump, punch combo

Typical combinations:
a. hook-grab-pluck
b. tag-lean
c. contact-cling
chimojo
Forum Contributor

Postby MethodMike » Wed May 28, 2008 10:47 am

Hey,

Any praying mantis fans should follow this link :

http://www.ymaa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4274

Maybe we can revive the discussion on the 12 word formula or any other mantis info.

See you soon!!!
MINDBODY FITNESS

One Body...One Mind...Infinite Possibilties
MethodMike
Forum Regular

Re: Praying Mantis 12 Word Formula

Postby ZERO » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:55 pm

螳螂拳法概论 - Praying Mantis Boxing Method General Analysis

(黏粘贴靠,勾漏采挂,刁进吊打)出手为勾,回手为挂,漏是出手回手,采是随手而入,黏是邦,即滚擘也,粘是拿,贴是挥擘劈也,拷是大拷打,刁是反手螳螂刀,进是拳步乘势而上,吊是提高敌手而进攻,打是成一括名词,如圈、直、拷、漏、劈、撑等,都应名为打,是向敌攻击的意思。

(Sticking, Adhering, Attaching, Leaning; Hooking, Leaking, Plucking, Hanging; Claw, Advancing, Suspending, Striking) Extending a hand is “Hooking,” revolving-returning a hand is “Hanging,” “Leaking,“ is extending & revolving-returning a hand, “Plucking,” is Following his hand & Entering, “Sticking,” is Assisting, that is Rolling & Breaking, “Adhering,” is Grabbing-Controlling, “Attaching,” is Waving, Tearing, & Chopping, “Leaning,” is the Big Leaning Strike, “Claw,” (Diao) is the Back Hand usage of the Praying Mantis Hook, “Advancing,” is when the Fists & Steps respond to the moment & prove superior, “Suspending,” is lifting the enemy’s hand & pressing the attack, “Striking,” is one word that contains many more, such as Hooking Strike, Straight Strike, Knocking Strike, Leaking Strike, Chopping Strike, Propping Strike, and so forth, should all be counted as Striking, it is the main idea behind attacking the enemy.
ZERO
Forum Addict

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu