Traditional forms judging criteria

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Traditional forms judging criteria

Postby chimojo » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:07 pm

If you judge at tournaments, what are the criteria you use for judging traditional forms, and how much weight do you put on each criteria?

Also, where can standard judging criteria be found on the Internet?
chimojo
Forum Contributor

Postby qwackdragon » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:21 pm

http://www.iwuf.org/upfile/Rules_of_Taolu(English).doc

http://www.iwuf.org/rule.asp

different organizations will often use ther own criteria. ck with the one you will be at.
life is a qumquat
qwackdragon
Forum Contributor

Postby yeniseri » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:01 pm

I judged once at a local tournament and have been an off and on competitior for the past 20 years. Actually, I may have the distinction as being a terrible judge when compared to the other judges!

Much of present taolu relies on too much acrobatic and gymnastic finesse as part of the scheme and there is a tendency to rate higher those whose 'degree of difficulty index' is higher. That is not what competition is about but it makes for good sport! In that realm, taolu is great.

Examine the results for yourself and the people who win at taolu do not win at sanda, shuaijiao, sanshou and like events. If i were to see 'snake creeps down' in Yang style taolu, I would rate that a 7.5 to 8.5 based on the structure of other postures while another would rate it 8.5-9.0.
In Chen style, I would rate 'Dragon on ground' if done properly 8.5-9.0 since that would be expected in Chen style!
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby chimojo » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:40 pm

It seems to me that standardized contemporary forms are already somewhat subjective and traditional forms are extremely subjective when they are judged in tournaments. There aren't even any standardized forms or rules. Good kung fu is good kung fu, but many traditional schools can't even agree between themselves on forms. That leaves the door open for tournaments to be slanted for politically strong schools since forms judging is so subjective. I think it is much more accurate to judge sanshou or tuishou since fighting is much more straightforward. That may be why most martial arts in the olympics are judged based on fighting events.
chimojo
Forum Contributor

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu