zuo pan bu

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

zuo pan bu

Postby luccio » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:40 am

Dear Members,
happy new year.

I would like to ask if someone can give me details on Zuo Pan Bu.
For example if both gluteus must touch the floor.
luccio
Forum Newbie

Postby darth_freak » Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:56 am

how would you have both gluteus on the floor? :shock:
you sit on crossing legs.
feet paralel: | |
then you spin on the heel of the leg which side is the one you want to turn to, and with the other leg you spin on the tip of the foot. then you do a complete 180° with the knee close to the floor, back straight etc.

but if someone could give some more knowledge about the front leg...I'd like that, for instance: should it be perpendicular with the flood or is it okay if it's a little like that: \ and should the thigh be paralel with the floor or the waist can be lower than the knee?
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby scramasax57 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:38 pm

the back (lower) knee should be one fist from the ground and one fist from the other ankle. the back heel should be up. that should put you at the correct lowness.
aka eric hinds, 2nd stripe
n. andover, ma branch
yang's martial arts association

changchuan, baihe, and xingyi
scramasax57
Forum DemiGod

zuo pan bu- sleeping lohan ? Terminology problem.

Postby luccio » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:28 am

Dear members,
thanks for answering.
I was thinking about the position of the "sleeping lohan" or sleeping arhat, when referring to "zuo pan bu". Maybe I know the posture that you describe in your replay as "xie bu". Am I making a mistake?

Ciao :roll:
luccio
Forum Newbie

Postby darth_freak » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:12 am

zuo pan bu means "sitting on crossing legs".

xie bu is called qi lin bu in our schools.

and for what I see from another website, there's a zuo pan bu different from the one we practice :?

http://www.artsmartiauxchinois.org/doss ... XieBu.html

http://www.artsmartiauxchinois.org/doss ... PanBu.html

http://www.artsmartiauxchinois.org/doss ... /index.php

I know its in french but there're pictures for every positions...it's amazing how we can learn more about something we thought knowing well.

here're the stances we use http://www.yangsandover.com/membersarea ... erminology

(I love Andover's website :D too bad there's not new videos but still :lol: )
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Walter Wong » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:55 am

Yeah Andover. What's with the lack of videos? :?

:P
This is a thought world part of a thought universe. Man is the center of thought. "I think. Therefore I am."
Walter Wong
Forum God

Postby darth_freak » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:15 pm

lol

maybe videos should be taped. Though I think that some must have been shot in Portugal during the demo...no one to upload them?
and I can barely believe that when Angelina Laughinheart won her taiji medals there was no one to tape that! :cry:

otherwise, Walter, did you know that zuo pan bu? it seems the guy is sitting on the ground. how could one get up quicly from this position?
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby luccio » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:30 pm

Dear darth_freak,
thank you for the links,they are very interesting.
Zuo Pan bu from the artsmartiauxchinois.org was the posture I was asking on.
It's also called the "sitting arhat" posture and it is a part of xiao lohanquan taolu, as you maybe already know.
I have a video by ShiDeYang where he seems to be sitting on the ground, but he has long classic kimono on so it is difficult to see well.
The guy in the link intead seems to me to have the left gluteus not touching the ground.

Ciao and

Amituofo
luccio
Forum Newbie

Postby darth_freak » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:38 pm

well, if I brought you an answer...I'm glad :)
but anyway, getting checked by a teacher or an advanced stutent might be better.

do you train alone?
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Walter Wong » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:07 pm

Zuo Pan Bu is low. But no matter how low, one should not be sitting and relaxing their bum literally sitting on the floor or on your foot and relaxing the legs. The legs should be hard at work holding you up so there is no complete sitting down in any of the stances.

Master Yang doesn't sit down when he's in stances. He's still using his legs to hold himself up.
This is a thought world part of a thought universe. Man is the center of thought. "I think. Therefore I am."
Walter Wong
Forum God

Postby darth_freak » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:18 pm

yea I know. but with that zuo pan bu http://www.artsmartiauxchinois.org/doss ... PanBu.html I don't see how you can get up as quicly as with ours :?

it's also stated it's a short stance only used for defense...
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Walter Wong » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:00 pm

Well, that's not a YMAA Zuo Pan Bu. We know how ours work and how to make ours functional.

We don't train their style so maybe they have a specific way to make theirs functional as well.

I could easily speculate that, oh yeah, he's stuck and I'll kick his behind easy. But who knows, it could be deception. It's hard to say what they're really doing and intend just by seeing pictures. Actually if my bum was on the ground already like that, I would go for a scissor lock takedown with my legs against my opponent's legs for example. And what if that's a transition from standing then dropping to avoid some high attack then procede to execute a scissor lock takedown. But that's how I see a way of using that position. Maybe they'd do that. Maybe they'd do something else. There's a chance they don't train it functionally and yes then it would be disadvantage for them to be in that position as I move in to take them out. But that's hard to say unless you train their style.

I try not to underestimate my opponent. Everyone that's involved with combative arts got tricks. You'll find out what they're made of when you engage them.
Walter Wong
Forum God

Postby darth_freak » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:09 pm

hmm yea I see your point. can't disagree.

"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby luccio » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:42 pm

Ciao darth_freak,
If I study alone? no, I have a teacher.
Zuo Pan Bu is a position contained in a quite old form that I'm learning in stages with shaolin monks,when, once in a while I travel outside my country; unfortunately my local teacher doesn't know lohan quan. The problem is that I've seen some monks to sit totally on the ground while others sit like in the picture of the link above. :D

Amituofo
luccio
Forum Newbie

Postby darth_freak » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:58 pm

ah ok. my bad then :oops:
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu