bow to show courtesy (in qin na books/videos?)

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

bow to show courtesy (in qin na books/videos?)

Postby jtodd939 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:38 am

In the YMAA Shaolin curriculum, I see that there is a qin na for second stripe called bow to show courtesy. Is this qin na demonstrated in any of the qin na videos or books? (does it possibly go by a different name?)
jtodd939
Forum Newbie

Postby darth_freak » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:38 pm

it is either "the hero shows courtesy" (third qinna level) either "old man bows politely" (fifth qinna level).
I think it's the qinna where you get grabbed on your cloth near the plexus, turn the opponent's hand, control the elbow...then bow to show courtesy :lol:
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby scramasax57 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:18 pm

thats the one. it's also in the shaolin curriculum for second stripe, chin na number three.
aka eric hinds, 2nd stripe
n. andover, ma branch
yang's martial arts association

changchuan, baihe, and xingyi
scramasax57
Forum DemiGod

Postby darth_freak » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:39 am

but the question was "what's its name in the qinna list"...is it "the hero..." or "old man..."? :?
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby jtodd939 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:17 pm

yes, I'm confused too? which qinna is it? what is the name of the "bow to show courtesy" qinna in the qinna books or in depth qinna videos?
jtodd939
Forum Newbie

Postby darth_freak » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:39 am

it is either "the hero shows courtesy" or either "old man bows politely" if you can check both of them and describe them to me I can tell you which one is also called "bow to show courtesy"...or if someone knows the 3rd or 5th qinna level, he/she may tell you directly.
look for those names if you have got the qinna book. if you got the dvds, look into 3rd and 5th level. (then tell me because I'd like to know aswell :wink: )
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby David Grantham » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:54 am

sorry for the late reply to this one. :oops: Hero shows courtesy is a wrist chin na and is done in front, check it out pg 154 in the analysis book. that is the second stripe testing chin na. Old man bows politely is done from behind, elbow chin na and is found on pg.202 same book. Although you guys most likely have figured that one out by now. :)

Dave
See the world and seek the truth!
Never say I cant, always believe I will.
David Grantham
Forum Addict

Postby Walter Wong » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:53 pm

I was talking to one of the teenage students at the school a few weeks ago about his physical confrontations at his high school. He said that because he's a smaller person, the bigger kids like to mess with him. One larger teenager grabbed him by the jacket one handed and in front smirking and thought he had him restrained and refused to let go. Immediately he put the hero bows to show courtesy chin na on and dropped the bigger teenager down and held him there til the teachers arrived. The bigger teenager was squealing in pain and was upset but couldn't do nothing bout it being stuck in the chin na lock.

He's repeated this chin na to another big teenager who grabbed him by the shirt in front in the same manner. Dropped him too. After that not many mess around with him. He's been able to resolve his physical confrontations with chin na so far and hasn't had to hit or kick anyone which he rather avoid cause he typically walks away from fights anyways.
This is a thought world part of a thought universe. Man is the center of thought. "I think. Therefore I am."
Walter Wong
Forum God

Postby darth_freak » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:42 pm

nice! I like that qinna. it's quite "handy" :-p

and Thank you David, I hadn't figured out, I haven't got any qinna book or video :roll: ...yet :wink:
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu