Stone Warrior?

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Stone Warrior?

Postby Flip » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:24 pm

Hi,

Sifu just told me that we're going to start on 'stone warrior' in a couple weeks. Anybody know anything about this - i'm totally clueless and didn't have a chance to ask him after training last night.
Flip
Forum Addict

Postby Walter Wong » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:53 am

I never heard of Stone Warrior.

Let us know what it is when you start or when you ask your Sifu.
This is a thought world part of a thought universe. Man is the center of thought. "I think. Therefore I am."
Walter Wong
Forum God

Postby Flip » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:41 am

So i saw the video of stone warrior last night. It's pretty intense from the looks of things. It's a strength training set.

There are something like 7 sets of 3 movements each, and you perform each 12 times at first (if you can). The catch is that the entire time you have every muscle in your body completely tensed as hard as you can while still being able to perform the movement.

The guy on the tape looked like he was gonna explode. There are a lot of isometric movements where you are pushing your arms against each other etc.

By the time you get up to speed you should be doing 24 reps of each movement, which takes approx 90mins.

It was all fine and good until the instructor gave a lecture ... he was like some drill sergeant and was all "our school is the best....blah blah"
I think my sifu is going to take the idea behind this training and apply it to our system.

if anybody is interested, the school is Green Dragon (the vide tape, not mine) and I think you can probably get the video or more information online somewhere.
Flip
Forum Addict

Postby Hephaestus » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:34 pm

http://www.martialartsmart.net/dvdyvs341.html

Stone Warrior program by Professor Thomas Keen, made famous by the Green Dragon school.

Is this the one?
~H
Hephaestus
Forum Contributor

Postby Flip » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:11 am

that isn't the same guy on the cover but it looks to be the exact same thing, and the tape was green dragon school.
Flip
Forum Addict

Postby Walter Wong » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:39 am

Sounds like a hard chi gong type of workout.
People that are doing it must be pretty damn strong I imagine.
This is a thought world part of a thought universe. Man is the center of thought. "I think. Therefore I am."
Walter Wong
Forum God

Stone Warrior

Postby Jashu65 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:01 am

Extreme Hard Qigong from the sounds of it! I wonder if they experience any effects from dispersion?
A journey will rarely teach you anything new if you dont have an idea where you are going.
Jashu65
Forum User

Postby Flip » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:50 am

Not sure what you mean by dispersion?

My understanding is that this is both external and internal qigong, kind of like iron wire.

my experience so far has been that it's a serious workout on the muscles and it's difficult to breathe while doing it....I can get through about 1/10th (at most) of the full program right now.
Flip
Forum Addict

Postby scramasax57 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:29 pm

dispersion means a dangerous amount of qi is generated and not circulated correctly. it happens sometimes with hard qigong.
aka eric hinds, 2nd stripe
n. andover, ma branch
yang's martial arts association

changchuan, baihe, and xingyi
scramasax57
Forum DemiGod

Postby Flip » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:32 am

i see. isn't that the opposite of dispersion?
regardless, my sifu was concerned about this program and serious injury resulting from it, probably exactly what you're talking about. i think the breathing is the key (as with, well, everything)
Flip
Forum Addict

The Green Dragon Stone Warrior

Postby Savate » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:53 pm

I don't think the chi explosion would be much of a concern with the Stone Warrior program, because the dynamic tension required to do each exercise is so great that I don't think much internal circulation of chi takes place.

I have seen the video and tried the exercises, and they even claim that it is 90 percent external. The Iron Vest tape by Green Dragon is the chi circulatingand cultivating exercise program.
Savate
Forum Newbie

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu