Kung fu vs other activities child development

Use this forum for general Martial Arts related discussion. Please stick strictly to Martial Arts and use the "General Chat" topic for other themes.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Kung fu vs other activities child development

Postby martin watts » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:57 am

Hello,

I am interested in any studies which show the theraputic aspects of martial arts training as a comparison with other sports activities - particularly in the field of child development.
I have seen and article on a hong kong psychotherapist site dimensionscentre.com which references a study on tae kwon do as a comparison with straight gym exercises.

Does anyone else know any studies specifically comparing martial arts training with other forms of exercises?

Thanks,

Martin
martin watts
Just Arrived

Re: Kung fu vs other activities child development

Postby Sanfung » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:27 pm

Hello there, and welcome to the forum, it's nice to see a brand new face! A couple of studies immediately came to mind when you had asked that question. One of these is here, at least in abstract form:

http://www.physicaltherapyinsport.com/a ... 0006-1/pdf

They compared Kung fu training to swimming from a purely allopathic point of view, and stated that they both had measurable advantages that were somewhat similar in terms of the stated goals. The individuals behind the study felt that adolescents could succeed in either swimming or Kung fu programs.

The abstract for the second study that I thought of is here:

http://www.physicaltherapyinsport.com/a ... 0/fulltext

It actually seems to have been similar to the one that your link had cited, and also came to similar conclusions. Let me know if you find any more documentation!
Sanfung
Forum Guru

Return to General Martial Arts discussion