Romanization

Use this forum for general Martial Arts related discussion. Please stick strictly to Martial Arts and use the "General Chat" topic for other themes.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Romanization

Postby Sanfung » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:52 pm

Earlier today I was reading a news story where they covered some people who practiced Kung Fu in the story. While the reporting left something to be desired, the writing in the story made me think about something. The author switched systems used to romanize Chinese midway through a paragraph.

In the front of some YMAA texts there is a small chart that helps to show what different ways words can be spelled. I noticed that most people use Hanyu Pinyin with tone marks around here. I usually personally use Wade-Giles or one of the Cantonese systems, since I was taught these in college.

That still leaves the Yale and Gwoyeu Romatzyh systems as well as numerous others. Getting to my point, and at the risk of the intellectual straining that I am so often guilty of, I was wondering if there were any preferred way to write out Chinese words with Roman characters on this forum.

I am sorry if I am just over thinking things again!
Sanfung
Forum Guru

Return to General Martial Arts discussion