An explanation of my beliefs(and maybe yours)

Use this forum for general Martial Arts related discussion. Please stick strictly to Martial Arts and use the "General Chat" topic for other themes.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Re: An explanation of my beliefs(and maybe yours)

Postby joeblast » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:43 am

Monsoon wrote:@joeblast, vacuum is not a substrate. It is the absence of any substrate. Of course, by vacuum we could be talking about a mere absence of matter. However, as matter and energy are essentially the same thing, perhaps it is incorrect to refer to a vacuum that is full of energy but not matter in their respective states. Therefore we would have to redefine what a vacuum really is. Kind of agreeing with you really, as I do think that what we perceive as the emptiness of a vacuum is in fact still some kind of resonant energy state, although if I understand it properly (which is highly doubtful) physicists will say that in a true vacuum there are no energy interactions. How light, for example, travels through the vacuum of space suggests either that space is not a true vacuum, or that there is an underlying undiscovered energy field.
I didnt say vacuum was a substrate, but I said there is a substrate. If you accept the postulate that light must have a medium in order to propagate, then it is simply a logical necessity that some medium exists. That says relatively little as to its nature, though ;) All's resonant energy states - so yeah, I'm saying "there is a calabi yau space that corresponds to a vacuum state" - perhaps even many, since there's such a preposterous amount of possible space configurations :mrgreen:
Even in mildly complex systems, any outcome is the wrong thing to target, with the process being where the focus should be.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby Monsoon » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:12 pm

Okaaay, you know, I was actually agreeing with you. :D

The term 'vacuum' has become synonymous with 'emptiness' - especially among the general population. It is clear that energy that is moving from one point to another must have a 'surface' (for want of a better term) to move on. Therefore it is reasonable to posit that what we tend to think of as a vacuum is not truly empty at all!

The implications of that are quite far reaching.

Exciting stuff! 8)
peace and harmony

monsoon
Monsoon
Forum Guru

Postby joeblast » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:19 pm

yessah!

being that I'm a little wordy with an expansive vocabulary, lots of times I'll seek to differentiate these meanings. like, what's the difference between void and oblivion. I dont think it would have occurred to me to equate emptiness with vacuum, especially if you consider that the energetic ground state can fluctuate in both directions, so the "lowest stable energy state" isnt necessarily an absence of energy. plus the whole notion of matter as condensed energy and fields as "unmanifested" wave function... :mrgreen:
Even in mildly complex systems, any outcome is the wrong thing to target, with the process being where the focus should be.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby wpgtaiji » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:21 pm

joeblast wrote:yessah!

being that I'm a little wordy with an expansive vocabulary, lots of times I'll seek to differentiate these meanings. like, what's the difference between void and oblivion. I dont think it would have occurred to me to equate emptiness with vacuum, especially if you consider that the energetic ground state can fluctuate in both directions, so the "lowest stable energy state" isnt necessarily an absence of energy. plus the whole notion of matter as condensed energy and fields as "unmanifested" wave function... :mrgreen:

or God, buddha, krishna, et al! Activity, not symbol.
wpgtaiji
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Monsoon » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:41 pm

There's the dead horse... points to horse carcase

Here's the whip... /gives the whip to wpgtaiji

Get flogging!
peace and harmony

monsoon
Monsoon
Forum Guru

Postby wpgtaiji » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:29 am

Monsoon wrote:There's the dead horse... points to horse carcase

Here's the whip... /gives the whip to wpgtaiji

Get flogging!

If a horse dies but there is no one there to see it, is it really dead? And DEAD is just a symbol we attached to an ACTIVITY we dont understand! After all, science tells us "NOTHING IS CREATED OR DESTROYED".

*tags in Monsoon... RUN FOREST! RUUUUUUUUNNNN!!
(oh dren... was that too obvious?)
wpgtaiji
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby caesar » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:00 pm

This is great. Already seven pages explaining Pete's believes...and maybe also ours!

And I still feel like :?: :shock:
caesar

Postby Monsoon » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:44 pm

:lol: @wpgtaiji

Actually, death always fascinated me - 15 years in pathology might have been a contributing factor of course! :D

The fundamental difference between a dead body and a live one remains elusive. The 'animating agent' has not been identified (yet) nor reproduced - I'm looking at you Dr Frankenstein!!

It's probably one of them quantum thingies.
peace and harmony

monsoon
Monsoon
Forum Guru

Postby pete5770 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:39 pm

caesar wrote:This is great. Already seven pages explaining Pete's believes...and maybe also ours!

Why would you think that you are going to understand a person, let alone a group of people, by simply reading a few lines in a forum?
pete5770
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby caesar » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:20 pm

pete5770 wrote:
caesar wrote:This is great. Already seven pages explaining Pete's believes...and maybe also ours!

Why would you think that you are going to understand a person, let alone a group of people, by simply reading a few lines in a forum?

I don't. I was only joking. And I have actually learned a thing/two from reading this topic.
caesar

Postby pete5770 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:33 pm

caesar wrote:
pete5770 wrote:

I don't. I was only joking. And I have actually learned a thing/two from reading this topic.

Heh heh. Good one. I see your point. I believe i've had it reinforced in my mind that no two people think alike.
pete5770
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby caesar » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Miracles do happen. :)
caesar

Postby wpgtaiji » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:56 pm

Monsoon wrote::lol: @wpgtaiji

Actually, death always fascinated me - 15 years in pathology might have been a contributing factor of course! :D

The fundamental difference between a dead body and a live one remains elusive. The 'animating agent' has not been identified (yet) nor reproduced - I'm looking at you Dr Frankenstein!!

It's probably one of them quantum thingies.

See! There it is! I KNEW IT!

As to your second paragraph, that is why you missed my whole point about 10 pages back! You seem to thing that science has THAT answer, but you missed von Braun! "Science studies the "energy" around the human being. "Theology" studies that SAME ENERGY WITHING a human being"!

You are looking in the wrong place, and you always have been.

I never said science was wrong, just incomplete! Theology is also incomplete! I feel like a broken record that, as time goes on, the rest of the world finds wasnt broken at all, just way ahead of the times.

i suggest READING! It works almost every time!
wpgtaiji
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Monsoon » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:45 pm

As to your second paragraph, that is why you missed my whole point about 10 pages back! You seem to thing that science has THAT answer, but you missed von Braun! "Science studies the "energy" around the human being. "Theology" studies that SAME ENERGY WITHING a human being"!

:lol: I didn't miss anything and I didn't claim science had THAT answer. Science is only an investigative tool (I'm sure I have mentioned that before...)., and von Braun? Heh, everybody has speculations. That's all they are. Even yours, despite your insistence that you understand something - this is the path that close-minded fanatics take.

(BIG HINT - the 'quantum thingy' remark was only partly in jest)

Also...

You are looking in the wrong place, and you always have been.

... except I wasn't really looking at all. It was only of passing interest to me. Everything else is another one of your groundless assumptions (it's what you're best at).

i suggest READING! It works almost every time!

This line would clearly serve you better.
peace and harmony

monsoon
Monsoon
Forum Guru

Postby Edwjohn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:58 pm

Taiji began as a martial art, therefore, I am of the opinion that it should be practiced as such, and when practiced as such, whatever benefits that practice provides should be appreciated.
My first instructor used to say, "You want to meditate, spar!" His point hit home and I've been practicing the martial arts, with that in mind, since 1975.
I started in the Philippines and coming back to the US was a real culture shock because it seemed practitioners sought the esoterical instead of the practical and it has increased.
Edwjohn
Just Arrived

Postby John the Monkey mind » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:37 pm

Edwjohn wrote:Taiji began as a martial art, therefore, I am of the opinion that it should be practiced as such, and when practiced as such, whatever benefits that practice provides should be appreciated.
My first instructor used to say, "You want to meditate, spar!" His point hit home and I've been practicing the martial arts, with that in mind, since 1975.
I started in the Philippines and coming back to the US was a real culture shock because it seemed practitioners sought the esoterical instead of the practical and it has increased.

Well said the two should go hand in hand. Not much point to practicing rubbish that will not work and expecting some esoteric break-throw. The meditative aspect needs the practical and accurate function in order to work.
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby joeblast » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:50 am

joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby John the Monkey mind » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:46 am

"Pre-Socratic African Taoist yoga training" lol
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby joeblast » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:28 pm

:lol: odd character, but more proof that you can't fake the funk - you either do real training or stay limited in amplitude potential. unfortunately to some people its forever a joke 8)
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby John the Monkey mind » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:59 pm

joeblast wrote::lol: odd character, but more proof that you can't fake the funk - you either do real training or stay limited in amplitude potential. unfortunately to some people its forever a joke 8)

Have you read Path Notes of an American Ninja Master? Intresting read.
http://www.amazon.com/Path-Notes-Americ ... nja+master

"you either do real training or stay limited in amplitude potential"
This is my problem at the moment, 15 min a day is not really sufficient meditation to kick up my amplitude. I do a fare bit of Taiji but its not really the same.
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

PreviousNext

Return to General Martial Arts discussion