New fist!

Use this forum for general Martial Arts related discussion. Please stick strictly to Martial Arts and use the "General Chat" topic for other themes.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

New fist!

Postby yat_chum » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:27 am

What you you make to this?

How to Make the New BOSU® FIST™
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BvOUs31J9I
yat_chum
Forum God

Re: New fist!

Postby John the Monkey mind » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:08 pm

It seems overly complicated, the nice thing about the normal fist or even some other types I have seen is they are easy to make and so useful in a high stress situation. The fist may or may not work but it looks a good excuse for a trade mark.
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Re: New fist!

Postby Josh Young » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:30 am

his claim about boxers fractures is interesting
it should still be a risk with this type of fist, and wrist alignment seems to still be an issue, hitting hard things with any type of fist has the capacity to injure
that being said, it is very interesting

I do a form of punch that has a flip of the hand, basically the palm is open and only closes into a fist right before impact, and then is immediately open again, there is no clenching, rather the 'flick' of the hand closes the punch at impact, it is not possible for me to use this technique with this "new" fist

but then there are two types of kinetic impact with the fist, one is the transfer of kinetic energy out of the fist, the other is the use of the fist as a ramming object.
the first method is a lot like this:
NewtonsCradleL.gif
(36.44 KiB) Downloaded 31 times

the second method is more like a battering ram, the fist drives through and into the object
the first method, when done right, is highly effective, but involves minimal compression of the hand, the second method is also highly effective but compresses the hand

This "new" fist is fine for the second method, the battering ram method of punching, but it seems to be poor for the first method, it is not loose enough to allow the kinetic force to transfer properly.

so while i would suggest that people using ram type punching methods consider this fist and try it for themselves, i would suggest that people who use the kinetic force transfer method of punching avoid this fist

I don't like punching "through" the target, i personally believe that is an inferior technique, but one that requires only a little training.
Also i like to use a punch to follow up a palm strike in a single motion, i cannot do that with this fist... it is really hard to flow in and out of this "new" fist in a fluid fast motion

neat stuff though
Josh Young
Forum DemiGod

Return to General Martial Arts discussion