Training and Healing

Use this forum for general Martial Arts related discussion. Please stick strictly to Martial Arts and use the "General Chat" topic for other themes.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Training and Healing

Postby chad101 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:22 pm

Howdy!

I am writing this post, because I need help with something. The thing is, I'm not sure what the problem really is. Sometimes, my mind races a million miles an hour, and I have difficulty focusing on the present. Sometimes, this holds me back in finishing tasks that I have started. I think I may have some anxiety problems. If something angers me, and I'm around people, I really try not to show it, but over time, it seems this anger builds up, and it becomes harder and harder to hold it back. I wait until I'm alone, and just breathe for a while until I calm down. I don't have a tendency to lash out or anything like that. But, it does become overwelming.

Right now, I'm a college student. I'm 30 years old, and I'm a Navy veteran. I'm having a blast at school. I've learned so much here, and I've been able to share this with my fellow students to help them through their classes - I tutor them. Sometimes, my frustration with some teachers or subjects leads to anger, and this inhibits me from using my time efficiently to learn the material. My own anger holds me back when it's at its peak. I do not want to miss something in school because my random angry thoughts which usually blow things way out of propportion. I'm looking for a means to solve this. I am talking with friends and others about this.

I have studied Martial Arts for most of my life now. I'm no expert. It's something I have a deep passion for. I was introduced to Shoulin Kempo Karate and Long Fist Kung Fu in Charleston, SC when I was stationed there a few years back. I studied with the schools down there for 4 years. I remember Dr. Yang visiting us for a seminar one weekend. (My wrist remembers also. hehe)

I have some basic materials for continuing my studies in Long Fist, but is there anything anyone can recomend to help me to focus my mind?
chad101
Forum Newbie

Postby John the Monkey mind » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:54 pm

Zazen meditation is good for that and easy to pick up.

http://www.wikihow.com/Begin-Zen-Meditation-(Zazen)

Also if you switch to internal martial arts or just add chi gong to your regular practice you will see improvement.

Its not that things wont make you angry but it will be easier to let them go. Don't expect fast improvement but you will gradually find you have more control over your thinking. A nice by-product is it will significantly improve your kung fu skill.
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby chad101 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:02 pm

Nice. Thanks guys!
chad101
Forum Newbie

Postby Dvivid » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:23 am

The simplest version is to focus on breathing.

At first, count your breaths. Inhale for 10 seconds, and exhale for 10 seconds.

Then, keep the same pace, but stop counting, and just observe the breath entering and exiting.

Not only does this help slow your heart rate, lower blood pressure, and keep your mind engaged in the moment, there are also significant health benefits, including making the cell replacement process as efficient as possible.

What did I read once? "Exhale Hitler, inhale Einstein."
(the idea being, we are constantly rebuilding our bodies with atoms in the air we breathe that were recently part of other matter, including people)
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Return to General Martial Arts discussion