Bags

Use this topic to discuss themes not related to martial arts. Everyone needs to chat sometimes, discuss some personal ideas, maybe talk about movies or music, please use this topic for that, so we can keep all other themes on the Martial Arts topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Bags

Postby Yatish Parmar » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:46 am

I don't have the facilities for a hanging bag.

Hence I was thinking of getting one of the floor standing variety. Should I go for a Bob or a more traditional thing?

Opinions please.

Yatish

"Boiled Egg and Cheese?"
Yatish Parmar
Forum Guru

Postby Hephaestus » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:31 am

I'm in a similar spot. Personally I'm thinking that a more simplistic standing bag would be better, the lower the base, the better (but without it having a six foot diameter!), so long as it is weighed down sufficiently, so as to allow for a fuller range of strikes.
I'm sure the Bob variety has its merits, but not as a heavy bag. I'm considering getting a Bob eventually to practice vital-point strikes--but not until I feel confident with (and still possess) a heavy bag.
~H
Hephaestus
Forum Contributor

Postby TonyM. » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:27 am

I use the wavemaster with the base filled with saltwater. I like it .
TonyM.
Forum Contributor

Postby Walter Wong » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:13 am

Don't think you can go wrong with either. You can work on power on both I suppose. But not sure how well, Bob handles strikes and kicks that have power. Looks like something great for pressure point/cavity striking which takes accuracy.

The wavemaster can be adequate for strikes that have moderate power. But I've kicked one around that was filled with water and I've knocked it over and shoved it around the room with kicks. Perhaps it should be filled with cement if your strikes and kicks are very strong.

I personally just continue to still use the punching bags that hang from the ceiling at my school.
This is a thought world part of a thought universe. Man is the center of thought. "I think. Therefore I am."
Walter Wong
Forum God

Postby Yatish Parmar » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:47 pm

I bought the wavemaster.

It's currently filled with water and goes walkies everytime I hit it.

Apparently you can get 'leaded sand'. I will have to investigate.
Yatish
Yatish Parmar
Forum Guru

Postby Walter Wong » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:17 am

Lead sand sounds interesting. Sounds like that's something you should put in your wavemaster if you're hitting it and it walks around the room. Well, lead sand if you like to keep your wavemaster in one spot while you're beating the crud out of it.
This is a thought world part of a thought universe. Man is the center of thought. "I think. Therefore I am."
Walter Wong
Forum God

Return to General Chat