Virtues on G+

Use this topic to discuss themes not related to martial arts. Everyone needs to chat sometimes, discuss some personal ideas, maybe talk about movies or music, please use this topic for that, so we can keep all other themes on the Martial Arts topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Virtues on G+

Postby Phalanxpursos » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:55 pm

Hey people I posted some articles about Virtues on my G+ account;
https://plus.google.com/u/0/117382351976956270066/posts

Here is the list of Virtues I got from Wikipedia:

Altruism is the principle and practice of concern for the welfare of others.

Benevolence means goodwill and intention to do good.

Compassion is the response to the suffering of others that motivates a desire to help.

Courage is the ability to act rightly in the face of popular opposition or discouragement.

Forgiveness is the intentional and voluntary process by which a victim undergoes a change in feelings and attitude regarding an offense.

Impartiality is a principle of justice holding that decisions should be based on objective criteria, rather than on the basis of bias, prejudice or preferring the benefit to one person over another for improper reasons considered to be partial.

Moderation is the process of lessening excessive desires, to enjoy life but not in excessive amounts.

Patience is the state of endurance under difficult circumstances, which can mean persevering in the face of delay or provocation without acting on negative annoyance, anger or exhibiting forbearance when under strain.

Perseverance is the steady persistence in a course of action, a purpose, a state, especially in spite of difficulties or obstacles.

Politeness is the behavior consisting of good manners.

Respect is the concern for a harmonious relationship with your family, friends and all other people in society.

Truthfulness is the act of basing your premise on the facts and reality.
Strategemata Liber Secundus;
"VIII: Restore Morale with Firmness"
Phalanxpursos
Forum Guru

Re: Virtues on G+

Postby Sanfung » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:27 pm

If it's all right to dovetail on your post here, then I'd like to call to mind the Martial Morality chart that Dvivid posted here a while back:

http://ymaa.com/files/Martial-Morality900.jpg

In a way I suppose you could say there are a very small core number of virtues, and all of our different names for them are simply different manners of expressing universal truths. It could be seen much as a gemstone that has numerous facets cut into it. Each facet is something unto itself, but they are all parts of the greater whole.
Sanfung
Forum Guru

Return to General Chat