Chinease characters

Use this topic to discuss themes not related to martial arts. Everyone needs to chat sometimes, discuss some personal ideas, maybe talk about movies or music, please use this topic for that, so we can keep all other themes on the Martial Arts topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Chinease characters

Postby sh1n » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:07 am

Hello all,

I'm looking for the meaning of this characters.
Would you be able to help me?

sh1n
Forum Newbie

Re: Chinease characters

Postby chh » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:00 pm

These characters are hard to identify- I'm not sure whether they're archaic, variants, just rare, or what, but I'm not finding them anywhere. I'd be interested if someone comes up with an answer!

Could you say what the picture is of? Some context might help narrow down the space of possible solutions.
chh
Forum Addict

Postby sh1n » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:25 pm

The characters above were on the shirt I've bought

On the other side of shirt there were this image.

Is it possible it's not chinease characters?
sh1n
Forum Newbie

Postby chh » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:08 am

Yeah, I think that is possible. I checked with a few Chinese speakers who also didn't recognize any of the characters, although that alone doesn't mean they aren't real.

Parts of those three characters show up as parts of lots of Chinese characters, but there are other parts that look unfamiliar or unrecognizable.

If someone else on this forum who reads Chinese sees your question, maybe they can be more helpful! :)
chh
Forum Addict

Postby sh1n » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:55 pm

Thanks for trying to help me ;-)
sh1n
Forum Newbie

Postby Monsoon » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:57 am

Ran it past some learned Chinese friends. The current consensus is that they are made-up characters. Although there are parts that are identifiable. As a whole they appear to mean nothing.

Actually I am a little surprised by this. Back in the 70s and 80s when the flow of information was less convenient it was not unlikely to find this sort of thing on T-shirts and so on as nobody (at least in my area)would be able to tell if it was real or not. Since the internet brought the world to our homes it is all too easy to cross-reference such stuff, so getting away with fakes is much harder.

Of course, they could be some ancient Chinese characters but you would need a pretty decent native scholar to tell you that (as I understand it).
peace and harmony

monsoon
Monsoon
Forum Guru

Return to General Chat