Bipolar, Baihui, Eight Pieces of Brocade, Harmony

Use this topic to discuss themes not related to martial arts. Everyone needs to chat sometimes, discuss some personal ideas, maybe talk about movies or music, please use this topic for that, so we can keep all other themes on the Martial Arts topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Bipolar, Baihui, Eight Pieces of Brocade, Harmony

Postby Trevor » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:57 pm

I understand that the acupuncture point Bauhui on top of the head is the Hundred Meeting Places. This is where lately I have had a lot of pain, I tried to lightly press the area and wow it has been sore and tense. I know that lots of issues can/could cause pain in this area. In the last year I haven't had so much time to practice healthy living as I moved closer to family, changed jobs and had a number of major emotional events like a near successful suicide in the family and a parent in the hospital a few months who almost died as well.

In any case i've started doing the eight pieces of brocade again and I find that the pressing of the tongue on the roof of the mouth considerable calms my whole system down, its like my body has been sending all this energy and shock to my head and now I can store it again and be calm.

I have read up some chinese medicine in the free pdf of an elservier text on the Chinese conception of Bipolar disorder. I have found that after a number of shocking traumatic events in my life and a crazy new shiftwork schedule that I am in great disharmony with the tao and natural cycles.
http://www.us.elsevierhealth.com/media/ ... r%2019.pdf
A part of the bipolar process I have experienced is excessive movement of my ethereal soul exiting and coming back and dreaming a lot. Being manic and full of energy and then depressed and not wanting to live.

I have sought medical help and I know acupuncture helps. I have people in my life to discuss psychosocial concerns. Does anybody have any insight in how I can use qigong to manage this bipolar process and to stop it from hurting me.

I feel like my body got stuck in a whole bunch of places and now I have slowed down considerably, I know what it is like to feel amazing and full of energy, however I feel like perhaps due to pushing myself so hard I may have damaged myself. I am processing everything in life and qigong can sure help move emotional stuff and transform blockages.

Anybody have any experiences with managing health and mental health, holistic health I mean with qi gong? I know my body can heal, I am on the right path, I just would like any insights along this line as how one can navigate these things. The viewpoint of chinese medicine and some daoist thought on how the mind body works and qi gong have been the puzzle pieces that have brought me to the road of healing and recovery.
Trevor
Forum User

Re: Bipolar, Baihui, Eight Pieces of Brocade, Harmony

Postby joeblast » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:55 pm

Proceed gently so as not to provoke strong feedback from the body
Learn to enjoy where you are at
Dont expect too much of progress, even just a little is on the plus side, no matter how small
Focus on fundamentals, dont look for something powerful to fix it quickly, you seem to want to avoid boating through the rapids (not that they are unnavigable, but...it is a task)
Try yongquan breathing to help ground the energies, the point is indicated for excess yang that does not want to descend
Breathe deeply
and one of my teachers said always smile, it helps open the baihui

/\ :)
Even in mildly complex systems, any outcome is the wrong thing to target, with the process being where the focus should be.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Re: Bipolar, Baihui, Eight Pieces of Brocade, Harmony

Postby Trevor » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:55 am

Thank you very much. I am going slow, the yongquan breathing helps. Master Yang in his book on embryonic breathing suggests exactly that as a fundamental. I am realizing that I need to change my whole lifestyle and will be taking some time off of work. Yeah, I am definitely not wanting to boat through any rapids.
Trevor
Forum User

Return to General Chat