Philosophical thoughts about virtues

Use this topic to discuss themes not related to martial arts. Everyone needs to chat sometimes, discuss some personal ideas, maybe talk about movies or music, please use this topic for that, so we can keep all other themes on the Martial Arts topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Philosophical thoughts about virtues

Postby Phalanxpursos » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:17 pm

Greetings to thee, most esteemed forum readers.

I had the urge to post my philosophical thoughts inspired by Yat Chum's topic "Thought for the day II", basically I think his topic is a good initiative. Am not saying I would respond in the same fitness Chum does, but I'll progress in my own tempo. Therefor I would like to dedicate this topic to the excellence of another topic, basically I wanted to dedicate this topic to virtues.

Did you know that it's all about how you portray your virtues ?

Virtue is a very large collective term, basically virtues summarises all which are to be considered good customs. But it is how you use your virtues what eventually will become of it, this burst of knowledge just came to my mind and I find it very important to write about it.

I am happy that this has came to my attention because it's a forgotten muse.

Take the number one example of virtues for example which is acceptance, acceptance refers to experiences of a previous situation without intending to change it. This can be a virtue, but it also can become a vice.

It's how you use it.

This is also with love, love is very popular. You can ask in many countries what the meaning of love is and they all will say it's fabulous, but everyone who's been love-sick know that it's not always like that. Eventhough love is a virtue, it also can become a vice.

That is why morality is so important.

To have a basic understanding of the difference between morally-correct & morally-incorrect, if you ask me ?!?! Understanding the difference between wrong & right (as you may call it), is so important it should be the first priority to teach to children.

Morality is a large word, but the custom of morality is even larger in meaning. That morality actually becomes a part of your daily life and hopefully one day also society, that's why I like music so much. Because true music is morally correct, it gives you a sense of inner-freedom (to name but one good aspect of music, there are more I presume).

Another question to the readers:

How many good aspects of music can you summarise for me ?
Strategemata Liber Secundus;
"VIII: Restore Morale with Firmness"
Phalanxpursos
Forum Guru

Return to General Chat