Venting

Use this topic to discuss themes not related to martial arts. Everyone needs to chat sometimes, discuss some personal ideas, maybe talk about movies or music, please use this topic for that, so we can keep all other themes on the Martial Arts topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Venting

Postby Yatish Parmar » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:54 pm

or maybe not.

There is this story I remember hearing where one of the Buddhas disciples was arguing with another. The first disciple saidthat right company was 50% of the path to enlightenment. The second said that it was 75%. The Buddha overheard and said that it was actually 100% of the path. The reason was that wrong company would push you into wrong things whereas right company would either keep you away or push you on to better things.

I've reached a point where I can't teach in the school I am in because of the negativity that surrounds me. It is such a shame because that is where my heart lies, in helping kids from underprivilaged inner-city homes. It is a pain in the bottom when you are working in such an environment which is already difficult, and then you are surrounded by difficult, immature, blaming adults and petty oneupmanship.

I find it increasingly difficult to work with adults (not just teaching, but in other fields I have been in), finding that they are more and more "child-like" in their attitudes to life, relationships and responsibility.
Yatish
Yatish Parmar
Forum Guru

Postby Inga » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:04 pm

Ah Yatish, a good rant does a power of good eh? I am sorry you have been feeling frustrated and stuck. I have experienced what you speak of. It does make me question on many levels. But this is a good thing I think. I work always to turn negative to positive, to be fair and to understand, even if i don't like it. It has taken me a very large part of my life to get better at doing this, and sometimes I fail still, but I am better at picking myself up and moving on. And I try and find a stronger resolve for being knocked down.

These individuals you work with sound self serving. They have limitations because of that. And who knows where they will move onto, or what will happen to them. But you should try to not care about them. Try and focus on the fact that the good you give your kids outweighs the bad of their crummy behaviour. Keep finding coping mechanisms when it gets to you: kung fu or qigong, another hobby, go out with a mate, read, think on your kids smiling. They need you Yatish. Giving unselfishly like you do is a rare thing. Please don't let the bastards get you down. Don't let your place get filled by someone who will play their games, because only the children will lose. I realise tis not easy. Dig deep and hang in there. You have it in you. Truly. And as a result you will have helped others' lives for the good, and probably often in ways you'll never even know.
Ancora Imparo
Inga
Admin

Return to General Chat