sha po lang

Use this topic to discuss themes not related to martial arts. Everyone needs to chat sometimes, discuss some personal ideas, maybe talk about movies or music, please use this topic for that, so we can keep all other themes on the Martial Arts topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

sha po lang

Postby dc » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:33 pm

this movie is amazing. the action is incredible, but the cinematography is even better. donnie and sammo put together some pretty solid performances and former wushu guy wu jing nicely plays the part of cold-blooded small samurai sword-wielding assassin.

see this movie if:

1) you like stylish fight choreo (decent amount of grappling)
2) you like sweet cinematography
3) you like a good story
4) basically if you like good movies

don't see this movie if:
1) you think anything but ufc sucks
2) you hated "snatch" and "lock, stock, and two smoking barrels"
3) you are a dog and therefore unable to see the ridiculously sweet color arrangements
4) you think uwe boll is not a complete tool

easily one of the best i have seen all year
dc
Forum Guru

Postby scramasax57 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:53 pm

saw parts of it...have to say it was completely awesome. there was a lot more grappling in this movie than i remember seeing in anything else from china/hong kong...sign of the times? i need to see the whole thing. visually, it looks amazing.
aka eric hinds, 2nd stripe
n. andover, ma branch
yang's martial arts association

changchuan, baihe, and xingyi
scramasax57
Forum DemiGod

Postby darth_freak » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:52 pm

is this new or is it on store?
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

spl

Postby dc » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:27 pm

it premiered at the 2005 toronto festival, so i'm not sure if the dvd is available yet. you could try checking amazon periodically though.

is anyone else addicted to dvds?

i just got "oldboy" this weekend. that is another sweet movie. if you like revenge stories, this is for you. it's kinda like a down and dirty count of monte cristo with an m. night ending and solid all the way through. in terms of martial arts, there are a couple fights. one is about a 3 minute take of the dude taking on about 20 guys...it's gritty and nicely done...people actually get tired.
dc
Forum Guru

Postby scramasax57 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:37 pm

oldboy is the nastiest thing ever. the hammer...oh god. the fights are just so realistic looking. i love that movie.
aka eric hinds, 2nd stripe
n. andover, ma branch
yang's martial arts association

changchuan, baihe, and xingyi
scramasax57
Forum DemiGod

Postby Hephaestus » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:33 pm

That one fight scene in Oldboy was amazing . . . all done from a side-scrolling perspective in a single shot. The martial arts weren't that incredible for modern day film, but it was realistic, and again -- one shot!
~H
Hephaestus
Forum Contributor

shot

Postby dc » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:45 pm

ya, it was sweet. i wonder how many people actually realized that it was one take. i guess theres a 4 minute take in tyg where tony jaa just runs through a building beating people.
dc
Forum Guru

Return to General Chat