A Martial Art For Every Country

Use this topic to discuss themes not related to martial arts. Everyone needs to chat sometimes, discuss some personal ideas, maybe talk about movies or music, please use this topic for that, so we can keep all other themes on the Martial Arts topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Re: A Martial Art For Every Country

Postby John the Monkey mind » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:47 am

Glíma the Icelandic national style of folk wrestling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glima
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby John the Monkey mind » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:57 am

John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Sanfung » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:06 pm

There's another style that comes to us from the United Kingdom as well. Classical boxing, as one might call it, evolved from English prizefighting.

Hmm, it doesn't seem that anyone's mentioned classical wrestling yet. Ancient Hellenistic Greek and Roman societies gave us the orthodox style of wrestling that was codified by French scholars for the modern resurrection of the Olympic games.

I also don't believe anyone has brought up Krav Maga, the famous Israeli defense and security forces technique. That style is often brought up when talking about modern self-defense methods. I actually believe that the publishing branch of YMAA markets a book on it.

If I'm allowed to take the conversation back to Hawaii for a moment or two, the combined style of Kajukenbo was developed on the islands to the best of my knowledge. Lima Lama is considered to be a Hawaiian style, though it's derived from an even earlier Samoan marital art.

Kirkpinar is a unique form of wrestling from Turkey that might very well be the oldest Turkish sport. If I'm not mistaken, grapplers in that sport actually have to struggle with the fact that their opponents are coated in olive oil.
Sanfung
Forum Guru

Previous

Return to General Chat