I'm Confused - Emei Baguazhang

Discuss YMAA Publishing's books, videos and DVDs. Have you read/seen an YMAA Publishing work? Share your thoughts, discuss its ideas. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: Dvivid, DavidR

I'm Confused - Emei Baguazhang

Postby Seiji » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:30 pm

I bought Dr. Yang's Emei Baguazhang a week or two ago... and I'm confused.
I've been an external martial artist for all of my life. Although I practice simple qigong at my kung fu school during class, I've never really considered serious study into the internal arts. I decided to change that, so I bought the book.
The weird thing is that I don't know what about it is confusing me. Maybe it's because I have no prior experience with Bagua.

I know this is really general... but are there any key things I should know when going about starting internal styles? I understand the idea of Qi, how to direct it, things to avoid when developing it, etc. Also, I understand the physical motions of the forms and their martial purposes. That's why I don't know how I'm having such a hard time understanding this book. :(
Seiji
Forum Newbie

Postby Dvivid » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:12 am

That book has a complete overview to the art of Baguazhang. I suggest you read and re-read it. Master Liang's lineage is very authentic and that is a perfect place to start the study of Bagua.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby Dvivid » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:13 am

"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Return to YMAA Publishing