Hiya's

Discuss Taijiquan or other soft styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: Dvivid, Inga, nyang, taiqiman

Hiya's

Postby Mach » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:30 am

Just wanted to stop in and say hello as I'm new here. I've been practicing the log form for about 4 years. It took me 2 years to learn it with applications in mind per video and then another 2 (and still working on it) to practice it in the other direction starting left instead of right 6 times a week. Also Tai Chi ball three times a week and the Tai Chi fit class for fun once a week with one of David D. students/teacher. I'm the sole caregiver to my Mom of 86 with dementia so practice is my "me time"
My Dad was a pro boxer I already knew a hard style so I had a head start with knowing the difference between hard and soft. (still working on it) So far its been a fantastic trip.

Happy New Year!!
Mach
Forum Newbie

Re: Hiya's

Postby ufateh » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:26 pm

Its great to know you are practicing the long form Mach. Did you use the Tai Chi for Beginners DVD to learn the form. I have also started using the DVD and I am currently learning. Its great to see someone who has learned the form on their own. I go through one or two movements a week and dont move ahead until I feel confident and comfortable in each movement. I have been taping myself at times comparing movements

Any challenges that you faced. I would appreciate any advise :)
ufateh
Forum User

Postby Mach » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:45 pm

Yes the Tai Chi for beginners dvd. I had practiced the short form for a while before the long form. I guess I did two postures at a time because I got the impression that how you get from posture to posture is important. I stayed on one section until I was comfortable with it also with the simple application of it. In time I was able to complete the 108. My biggest challenge was/is my root. I'm lucky enough to be able to practice between two large trees. Once I was trying not to "butt out" when I noticed a single spider strand wet with due shinning in the sun with a leave suspended from it. I'm still learning from those trees. I listen to every thing Dr. Yang says in that dvd it all has meaning. I also use the Applications dvd it gives you even more insight.
Sorry I don't know enough to give advise but we can learn together.
Mach
Forum Newbie

Postby ufateh » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:31 pm

Yes of course. We are all learning and I would appreciate any input.
ufateh
Forum User

Postby Mach » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:22 pm

Hows it going ufateh??
Have you been practicing? I did my usual 108 three times and some Tai Chi ball today. I should say I started practice while getting dressed. I always dress standing to sense my center of gravity. Pants ,socks. tie shoes. Lots of time on one foot. I devise little ways to practice all through the day.
Have a good day
Mach
Forum Newbie

Return to Taijiquan / Tai Chi Chuan