Looking for more

Discuss shaolin longfist, white crane or other styles. Theory, practice and applications. Please stay on topic.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Looking for more

Postby Balloo777 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:13 am

I have been training in wing chun for quite some time. I have focused mostly on the self defense applications. I am looking for the deeper spiritual qualities of martial arts and more in the exercise and health area. Do I need to study another system or should i simply look deeper into wing chun?
Balloo777
Forum User

Re: Looking for more

Postby John the Monkey mind » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:10 pm

There is no reason that you could not also take up Tai Chi, a lot of the deeper aspects that can be applied to Wing Chun are easier to find in Tai Chi. You can once you know them look for them in the Wing Chun. I also know a guy who has incorporated a lot of the theories of Pak Mei to Wing Chun. This seems to have improved his art a lot as he theorizes a lot of the aspects like sink, float, swallow and spit are neglected in Wing Chun but would have originally had a greater emphases. Skills like whole body connection are also more apparent in Pak Mei and Tai Chi but can be applied to Wing Chun and open the gateway to the more spiritual aspects of martial arts. A working knowledge of other arts more famous for the spiritual qualities of martial arts applied back to the Wing Chun will make it a lot easier to find.
I think Tai Chi being the easiest to find. Xing Yi or Yi Quan would probably be the most productive though if you could find a teacher.
I have studied a fair bit of Wing Chun in the past and done some Xing Yi and Yi Quan (loved the Xing Yi) but know do Tai Chi and Pak Mei as I have found good teachers. :)
John the Monkey mind
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Balloo777 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:59 pm

Thank you very much. I find that studying multiple arts under common principles really helps.
Balloo777
Forum User

Postby yeniseri » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:16 pm

"Inner" spirituality, consciousness (as in awareness, social equity, behavior+ x variables) etc has to come from within one's innermost being. Wing chun can have a 'spiritual realm' as sharing with others, allowing them to see their capacity for learning, the social atmosphere of instruction etc.

One well known practitioner has stated that developing only that wing chun one-sidedness can cause one to stink :(
yeniseri
Forum ÜberGuru

Return to Shaolin Gong Fu / Kung Fu