very cool videos!

Use this forum for general Martial Arts related discussion. Please stick strictly to Martial Arts and use the "General Chat" topic for other themes.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Postby Patbirder » Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:26 pm

Merci pour ces videos- totally cool. Nice way to take a break from work. That is incredible that the boy with the saber is only 9. I think I lke the Choy lay fut form the most.
the "environment" is not separate from who you are
watch birds-great for training the eyes!
Patbirder
Forum Contributor

Postby Hephaestus » Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:05 pm

You know what? I'm 90% certain that that 9-year-old is Jet Li, during his early years on the Beijing Wushu Team.
~H
Hephaestus
Forum Contributor

Postby darth_freak » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:15 am

could be...the boy is named Li Lian Je according to the website
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby Dvivid » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:33 pm

Yes, that's Jet.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby darth_freak » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:10 am

^^

quite amazing though!
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

wushu

Postby dc » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:01 pm

"some are just modern wu shu but some others really kick bottom!"

this statement seems to imply that modern wushu doesn't kick bottom! wtf!
dc
Forum Guru

Postby darth_freak » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:41 pm

it's different for me...modern wu shu can be spectular and intersting...but eventullay I wouldn't say it kicks bottom.
when you see some guy running 6 steps to jump very high for his tornado, it's for entertainement. or some other guyz who do the same and when they land they stand in "praying the buddha stance" with a knee that must suffer a lot
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

*nods*

Postby Jucudeno » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:43 pm

I agree, darth. There is a difference between the modern entertainment field of acrobatics we know as Wushu, and the traditional martial arts 'wushu'. While the two mix, often, the emphasis is different.

Oh, and a nine year old Jet Li is ultimate coolness. Appreciate the links!
"Study is to study what cannot be studied. Undertaking means undertaking what cannot be undertaken. Philosophizing is to philosophize about what cannot be philosophized about. Knowing that knowing is unknowable is true perfection." - Chuang Tzu
Jucudeno
Forum Contributor

Postby Walter Wong » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:23 am

I was once talking to Master Yang about modern Wushu and traditional. He said the older Wushu is more closer tied with traditional. So with the older Wushu forms, if they are trained with root, power, intent/sense of enemy, and knowledge and ability to execute the practical applications, even a Wushu form is usable and if trained like that, it can be considered traditional regardless of the moves because that's the way traditional trains. But he only confidently says that with the older Wushu. The newer Wushu is pulling further and further away from it's traditional roots cause the forms keep getting changed and updated for more aesthetic purposes.

I love the Yu Hai video of him doing the mantis form or Tang Lang. He used to be a traditional Seven Star Praying Mantis guy. He once served as a body guard as well. But he was ordered to create a showy Mantis form so he developed the form you see in that video in the tang lang link.
This is a thought world part of a thought universe. Man is the center of thought. "I think. Therefore I am."
Walter Wong
Forum God

vid

Postby dc » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:24 pm

that appears to be zhaoqin jian doing his 2004 crazy nandu routine. note that while modern wushu is becoming rather boring to watch, all these guys can bust out some crazy traditional with more speed and power than i could ever hope to muster.
dc
Forum Guru

Postby darth_freak » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:17 pm

this one is fun and quite entertaining. It's choregraphed fighting sequence for movies...there's a bit of martial intentions in it.
"Turn your butt!"
Master Yang.

Xavier
darth_freak
Forum ÜberGuru

Postby DOM » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:15 am

pretty cool,love the sound track too.I found the first part with him training alone very interesting.He was using tile hand,the bow of the chest and spine.He seemed to move and apply fajin just like we do in Crane and DR.Yangs Tai Chi.It was also pretty neet to se him doing wrap coiling with a taichi ball.It was nice to see some traditional athentic martial arts mixed in.
DOM
Forum ÜberGuru

Return to General Martial Arts discussion