Finally moving.

Use this forum for general Martial Arts related discussion. Please stick strictly to Martial Arts and use the "General Chat" topic for other themes.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Finally moving.

Postby green_thaddeus » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:42 am

So it's been awhile since I last posted, and this may very well be my last one for some time. One week from tuesday, I'll finally be moving to Minneapolis to begin my training in southern mantis kung fu. I really can't wait, I've spoken with the instructor (Sifu Casey Fryer) a number of times, and have gotten all the information I could without actually going all the way down there and trying the class. The lineage of this kung fu is great, and the people that I have interacted with through the school seem very friendly, and professional. Just to brag up the school abit (and I know I've mentioned parts of this before) this is a great school. Master Mark is pretty well known in the martial arts world, mostly for teaching Bruce Lee the one-inch-punch. He's 81, so unfortunatley he does'nt teach the kung fu himself anymore, however he does teach the Chi Kung every sat morning, which I hope to be able to attend on occasion. Either way, this is a very traditional system (belts or sashes have no place here) and I feel that it will be a great experience for me.

The main reason for this post however, is to thank all of you for your friendship, and support in my search for a good MA home. If any of you are ever in the Minneapolis/St.Paul area, I hope that you can make the time to come and practice with us, there are quite a few people on this board that I would love a chance to meet and train with! If you're curious about the school at all, please visit http://www.masterginfoonmark.comor http://www.onekungfu.com

Again, thank you all for your wisdom and support!
green_thaddeus
Forum Contributor

Postby Dvivid » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:42 am

Yes, Master Mark is a great teacher, and it will be a great school, congrats.

Do you know that he is a YMAA author?
http://www.ymaa.com/publishing/books/internal/6_healing_movements
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby Inga » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:28 am

Hey Thaddeus!

Best wishes with your move and new adventure. Sounds like you have found a good match for your training. I'm sure you will work hard and make progress. I certainly hope this is not your last post, it would be great to hear how you are doing.

Cheers, Inga
Ancora Imparo
Inga
Admin

Postby green_thaddeus » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:37 am

Dvivid Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:42 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, Master Mark is a great teacher, and it will be a great school, congrats.

Do you know that he is a YMAA author?

Yes! This was actually one of the factors that had me look into Master Mark seriously! I was looki ng up books on Chi Kung, and POW! Found an "authentic" master in my area. I've spoken some with Sifu Casey Fryer, the head instructor these days, and all that he's told me verifies my belief that this is more than the flashy garbage some people call kung fu today. (not to knock anyones style, ive just seen alot of kung fu out there that seems more effort than it's worth) The only regret that i have is there is no broadsword...thats one thing ive always loved. Sifu Fryer did say however, that at a higher level of proficiency (no belts or sashes here, you move up strickly on what you know) you learn staff, then butterfly swords, so at least ill be able to get some fun weapons training in!

I'm gonna try and hop on here now and again, once I complete my move, i wont have a computer, but im sure ill be able to hop on and share some of what im learning. Im sure the white crane people will be able to relate to alot of what ill be learning at first, it looks to be alot of push/sticky hand training, which i cant wait for! If you cant tell, im bursting at the seams. Im going to become a kung fu beggar, work all day just to eat, pay rent, and learn kung fu 2 hours a day, 4 days a week...
green_thaddeus
Forum Contributor

Return to General Martial Arts discussion