Bad Ninja.

Use this forum for general Martial Arts related discussion. Please stick strictly to Martial Arts and use the "General Chat" topic for other themes.

Moderators: nyang, Dvivid, Inga

Bad Ninja.

Postby Dvivid » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:01 pm

Sep 6, 2007

Serial Ninja Burglar Escapes With Knife In Chest

Police Say Suspect Responsible For 14 Break-Ins;
Stabbed In The Chest With Steak Knife By Latest Victim

STATEN ISLAND
"Police are feverishly searching for a dangerous burglar who dresses like a ninja and has broken into 14 Staten Island homes, including once on Thursday morning.

The burglar may have sought help after being wounded during this latest incident when he entered Phil Chiolo's home about 1 a.m. Thursday. Chiolo says he was so frightened, he grabbed a knife.

"I grabbed one of the steak knives and plunged it into his chest," he tells CBS 2.

Chiolo says he heard a crash in his kitchen, came downstairs and found the kitchen door open. Standing in front of him was a masked man dressed in black.

"And there, standing, facing me was a ninja; a guy dressed up as a ninja," he says.

Chiolo says the man was holding a pair of nunchakus, and struck Chiolo on the collar bone, and then on the back of the head. Chiolo then fell into the counter top, where he grabbed a steak knife.

"I was literally afraid for my life. I plunged the steak knife right here [in his upper chest area] all the way down to the handle," he says.

The burglar then ran from the house with the knife still in his chest.

"It's horrible. Everything's happening in Staten Island lately," one of Chiolo's neighbors tells CBS 2.

In fact, there have been 13 other residential burglaries, in Dongan Hills, Todt Hill, Grymes Hill, and Grasmere sections of Staten Island -- all in the last three months.

The first of the break-ins occurred on June 6 at a home on Park Lane, with the burglar entering through a sky light.

The burglar usually searches for jewelry and cash.

Police were distributing fliers Thursday giving the suspect's description, saying they believe it's the same burglar responsible for each break-in. They're hoping now the man will seek medical attention if the stab wound is bad enough, leading them to his whereabouts and capturing.

Police describe the suspect as six-foot-three, wearing black, and possibly carrying a tool bag."
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

http://www.ymaa.com/publishing
Dvivid
Forum God

Postby Phalanxpursos » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:06 pm

What if the Ninja died and hasn't been found yet ? Maybe he's on the roof of some building or hiding nearby.
Strategemata Liber Secundus;
"VIII: Restore Morale with Firmness"
Phalanxpursos
Forum Guru

Postby Tarandus » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:14 pm

In a job I had about five years ago in a government department in South London, I mentioned I had been attacked on my way home from work, and hardly anyone turned a hair. I soon learned why. One of the people I was speaking to was a man in his mid-twenties. He told me that about two years before that, he was in his girlfriend's flat in London when an intruder broke in with a knife. He stabbed my colleague 13 times - yes, 13 times, and my colleage had to stay in hospital for 6 months, lost all his blood, had a total blood transfusion and a lot of microsurgery etc. When I met him a couple of years later he was still deathly pale and still experiencing pain from time to time in his stomach from one of the knife wounds. He showed me the many scars. He himself admitted it was a miracle he was still alive. He was a thin, poetic sort of looking person, very gentle - but after all that, he was still coming to work; he could easily have stayed at home on social security. Now that's courage ..... Also, one of the security guards at that office was stabbed by a member of a teenage gang in one of the pedestrian subways outside the office block under the street on his way to his job at 6 in the morning. He was foolish enough to resist a demand for money and fought back, but was 'plunged' for his efforts. He 'paid the price' and was in hospital for six weeks. But he still returned to work and took up his old job again, despite the fact that those who had attacked him were never apprehended. Well, those are just the two most salient of the many true stories from people who worked there who had been victims, as I had been, of violence in the area. As Cicero observed 'O tempora! O mores!' (Oh the times, the customs!'). What happened in Staten Island is I am afraid pandemic. Burglary in Britain is rife as well of course. When I moved into a flat in South London 8 years ago, shortly afterwards, all the top flats in the block were broken into. The burglars literally smashed the doors in with sledgehammers during the day when everyone was out at work. I was lucky in that I lived on the ground floor and they had gone for the top floor flats because there was of course less human traffic in and out of the main door and less chance of detection. I'm glad I moved away from there when I did. Gangs around there are routinely armed with knives these days, and often with guns as well. Not that Brighton, here on the south coast, is all that safe either these days, as a recent message by me showed; but then all things are comparative ... Kind regards, T.
'Have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and try to love the questions. Live the questions now. You will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer.' Rainer Maria Rilke.
Tarandus
Forum Guru

Postby Dvivid » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:55 am

Maybe your Bobbies should carry more than sticks?

Or are those days over?

Moral of the story:
When the rich get richer, and the poor get poorer, everyone gets stabbed more often.
"Avoid Prejudice, Be Objective in Your Judgement, Be Scientific, Be Logical and Make Sense, Do Not Ignore Prior Experience." - Dr. Yang

Dvivid
Forum God

Postby Tarandus » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:43 pm

Dvivid: those days are long over, though the Bobbies stop short of carrying firearms routinely. The problem is that there simply aren't enough Bobbies around. But on the other hand, even if the police force were increased here to a million strong, there still wouldn't be enough. The fact is, violence is out of control now, virtually everywhere. Without some fundamental and universal shift in human values and the way people are educated and brought up, the trend is very likely to continue, I should have thought. Kind regards, T.
'Have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and try to love the questions. Live the questions now. You will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer.' Rainer Maria Rilke.
Tarandus
Forum Guru

Postby joeblast » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:30 am

what's the law on concealed carry over there?
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby Tarandus » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:28 pm

Basically it depends on the intention, assuming that can be proved by the prosecution, with which the weapon is carried (whether concealed or not). Some types of arms are considered by the law to be 'offensive weapons' in themselves however, irrespective of the intention with which they are carried. These are defined by statute. Anything, however, can be an offensive weapon if carried for an offensive purpose; the element of concealment is irrelevant. In other words, the subject boils down to the usual two elements that have to be proved by the prosecution in any crime other than those which carry strict liability in terms of statute, namely 1) Mens rea (guilty intention) and 2) Actus reus (guilty act). In terms of carrying weapons, the mens rea necessary for conviction would be the intention of inflicting harm and the actus reus would be actually carrying the weapon. Theoretically therefore, a knitting needle for instance could consitute an offensive weapon if carried for an offensive purpose. Whether it was hidden or carried openly would be irrelevant. In cases where something is not defined by statute as being in itself an offensive weapon, it is a question for the jury whether the thing in question is actually an offensive weapon and therefore a prosecution can be brought theoretically even in the absence of any evidence of mens rea on that ground alone. Such a case occurred in England recently. The case went to the House of Lords (the ultimate court of appeal here) but the conviction was quashed on the technicality that the question had not been put to the jury but the trial judge had made up his own mind that the instrument was an offensive weapon and directed them accordingly. In that case, the "weapon" was a shaolin sword, which was in fact in a bag that was actually stolen. The bag was recovered by the police when its loss was reported by the owner, and the owner was then prosecuted! Kind regards, T.
Tarandus
Forum Guru

Postby Dvivid » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:39 am

I agree. People are devolving into violent idiots rapidly. The ongoing paradigm shift in awareness and education will hopefully arrive just in time on a large scale...

Dvivid
Forum God

Postby joeblast » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:57 am

I'm talking a handgun. For someone like you or I that has respect for life and law, one wouldnt use it but in the case of extreme necessity where lives are at stake. That would be stemming from an initially defensive perspective.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby Tarandus » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:46 am

Joeblast: that's a very difficult issue. To carry a firearm in jurisdictions where it is legal to do so is probably justifiable and personally, I don't think I'd hesitate to do so if violence with firearms was prevalent there and I felt I was at risk unless I could 'equalise' the situation by carrying one of my own. In Britain it is illegal to carry firearms and gun crime is not - yet - out of control although in some inner city areas the risk of getting shot is certainly increasing significantly. On the other hand, random street violence is escalating, and it's not economically motivated, but is just pure aggression. A lot of teenage gangs here are involved in 'happy slapping' which involves beating someone up for kicks, filming it on their mobiles, and then posting a video of the attack on the web for their own and others' amusement. I am seriously thinking about carrying a blade at night, but so far have refrained from doing so because of a) the illegality and b) the argument that the more people carry knives even for their own protection, the more the carrying of knives will escalate and so far therefore I have not felt willing to contribute personally to such an escalation. Kind regards, T.
Tarandus
Forum Guru

Postby joeblast » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:27 am

that's unfortunate that its become dangerous in your area like that.

my problem with restrictive gun laws is that it only tends to reduce the number of law abiding people that carry; criminals could give a hoot. imho when confronted with stuff like this on a societal level, the best correction after proper law enforcement and substantial punishment for the crime is a good percentage of properly trained, law abiding citizens that carry. of course, proper education of the youngsters is important as well.
joeblast
Forum DemiGod

Postby Tarandus » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:48 am

Joeblast: you've got a point, but in jurisdictions like this one where firearms are illegal it tends only to be criminals who can get hold of them through their various contacts. They tend therefore to be carried only by organised crime gangs, though of course some of these weapons find their way into the hands or ordinary thugs. The result it that in most cases, gun crime in this country tends to be between rival gangs, although sometimes innocents get caught up in it and shot accidentally. The problem is certainly getting worse but so far isn't anywhere near critical. However, there are some countries where there is a serious gun problem and if I visited them, for instance, I would certainly want to be armed. So far in this country the gun laws have meant that ordinary thugs generally don't have access to them, but if that changes over time I daresay your viewpoint could become relevant here, too. Kind regards, T.
Tarandus
Forum Guru

Postby lilman » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:18 am

My answer to that would be learning Golden Bell Cover to defend against knives. Of course there is no defense against guns.

My current teacher's main syle is Hung Ga which actually consists of Golden Bell Cover. He demonstrated for me when I first met him. H grabbed a sharp knife, cut a piece of paper in half. He told me to hold onto the knife and dont let go. He grabbed the blade with his palm centered on the blade to show it wasnt a trick... He then asked me to pull the knife, dont let him take it. We played handle/blade tug of war for a minute, and he did some Qinna to disarm me. That was it. He showed me his hand, not even an indention from the blade.

Could you imagine how a street thug would feel if you grabbed the blade of the knife and took it from him?
lilman
Forum Guru

Postby Dvivid » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:05 pm

Whoa. Id like to see that.

I have seen many 'hard qigong' demos, but they tend to be dramatized...

Dvivid
Forum God

Postby lilman » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:25 am

Yea, I seen some dramatized ones too. He let me feel the blade and everything to make sure it wasnt a trick blade, I was right there when he cut the paper, and he emphasized grabbing the blade with his palm. There was no possible way to fake it.

I guess my year teaching for my old teacher finally paid off... :)
lilman
Forum Guru

Return to General Martial Arts discussion